Heart Check

From a very early age we are told time and time again to follow our heart. Disney princess teach us that we will get the desires of our heart. That some day our prince will come, or our dreams will come true. That we can be the hero of our own stories. The more I ponder and pray about that; the more I have seen the Lord working in my life to know that following my heart is a big mistake. How can I become nobody, if I am following my own heart. I need a heart check.

I've just finished reading through Judges as part of my Bible reading plan. Over and over the Bible says that the Israelites "did what was right in their own eye." Over and over. At first, Judgy Mc Megan thought, what is wrong with these people. Come on! All that God did for them, and yet they continue to turn away and do their own thing. In fact, in the last chapter of the book of Judges the Lord helps the Israelites win a battle and the last verse goes on to say after the victory, "Everyone did what was right in his own eyes." 

The thing is I am the same way. I know what God has done for me. I have seen Him working in my life and others, but I often times do my own thing. Follow my heart. 

Jeremiah 17:9 says, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" 

My heart is wicked on it's own.

I want a heart after God. I want to follow His heart. How can I do that if I am following my dreams and my desires. Often times I look at David in the Bible and wonder how it is that God says David had a heart after God despite the terrible things he did. I mean, he was an adulator and a murderer. However, what David did do was repent and turn. He was bitterly sorrowful for his sins. He made them right with the Lord by asking forgiveness and then turning from his sins. He also had a passion for the Lord as we see in the Psalms. Just look at Psalm 103:1-5


"With all my heart I praise the Lordand with all that I am I praise his holy name! With all my heart I praise the LordI will never forget how kind he has been. The Lord forgives our sins, heals us when we are sick, and protects us from death. His kindness and love are a crown on our heads. Each day that we live, he provides for our needs and gives us the strength of a young eagle."



Do I praise the Lord with all my heart. Do I realize just how amazing He is. Just how much He does for me personally. My prayer is that, like David, I will be quick to repent and turn from my sins. To keep a short list with the Lord. To passionately desire to walk close to Him. To love Him above everything else in my life. 

I want to be nobody, and in order to do that...I must have a heart check. Who's heart am I following today? Mine or the Lords??

So, today I am praying that the Lord will truly take over my heart. Give me His desires to follow. Help me to have a heart after His. I needed this heart check. 

Journey with me.
Becoming nobody.





Comments

Popular Posts