Identity Crisis


Seems to me like as moms it is so easy to loose yourself.
 I was asking myself, “Who am I?” just the other day. 

My answers were: 
Mom
Housekeeper
Wife
Cook/chef (depending on the day)
Teacher
Coach
Counselor…
and the list went on and on.

As I thought of all of these things. I realized how easily I set myself up for failure. If my children misbehave, I am not doing a good job as a mom and I fail.  If my house is a mess, I am not doing a good job as a housekeeper and I fail. If I don’t have energy to make a great and healthy meal and we eat cereal, I am not doing a great job as a cook/chef and I fail. If my children are not learning what I am trying to teach them, I am not doing a great job as a teacher and I fail. If I don’t do a good job decorating my house, planning activities for my family, being involved at the right level of involvement then according to “them” I am failing. I am not who I said I was. My identity is flawed. I am not worthy…

Not worthy…that is exactly what I am. That is exactly how my identity must start. Because let’s face it, friends, we are not worthy. But I am not talking about being worthy of being a mom, wife, housekeeper, etc. I am talking about being worthy to have an identity that never fails. The sweet sweet truth is that I do have an identity that never fails, even when I do fail! 

When I was six I saw my need of a Savior and placed my trust in Him. I could not have argued apologetics or taught Biblical truths, but I knew I two things: I was a sinner, and I needed a Savior. That, dear reader, is where my identity was formed. An identity in Jesus. An identity formed because a worthy Savior saw fit to come to earth to live a perfect life. Then he picked up a cross and chose to die for my sins and yours. For all sin. He choose to die in my place. The story doesn’t end there, for if it did my identity would be dead. No, the story goes on because Jesus conquered death and rose victorious from the grave. He is not dead any longer! He is alive. Sitting at the right hand of the Father, he makes intercession for me! Because I am not worthy, He is. 

When I place my identity safely in His worthy hands, then I can truly be content. Be happy. Be loved and love in return! Even when my house is a mess, as sometimes with four children it can be, I am still worthy. Not because of my own merit, but because His. When I look in the mirror I need to work on seeing my true identity. How do I do that? I need to fill my heart and mind with what Christ says about me. He says I am loved (1 John 4:10), I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14), I am accepted (Ephesians 1:6), I can do all things (Phillippians 4:13). By placing my identity in Jesus I can live safe and secure even when I fail at everything else. 

So, dear reader, where is your identity placed? Do you feel unworthy or unloved? Or are you placing your identity safely in the hands of the one who died for it! 



God made you.

It is enough.

You, my dear sweet reader, are truly beautiful!









Comments

Popular Posts